Lemon Balm and Pregnancy
When it comes to pregnancy, every mother-to-be seeks natural and safe ways to relieve the discomforts that accompany this special journey. Among the plethora of herbs, lemon balm emerges as a popular favourite. But is it safe? Let's delve into the uses, benefits, and precautions of using lemon balm during pregnancy.
The Wonders of Lemon Balm
Lemon balm, scientifically known as Melissa officinalis, is a perennial herb from the mint family. It's been long hailed in traditional medicine for its myriad of health benefits:
- Alleviating Anxiety: Known for its calming properties, lemon balm can be beneficial in reducing anxiety and stress, often accompanying pregnancy.
- Sleep Aid: Sleep disturbances are common during pregnancy. Lemon balm can assist in promoting restful sleep.
- Digestive Aid: Many pregnant women suffer from digestive problems, and lemon balm can help soothe the digestive tract.
Benefits Throughout Trimesters
During the early stages of pregnancy, hormonal fluctuations can lead to mood swings and nausea. Lemon balm can offer relief by stabilising emotions and acting as a mild digestive aid.
As the body undergoes significant changes, stress and anxiety can be amplified. Lemon balm's natural soothing properties can be a gentle way to promote relaxation during this period.
Preparing for the baby's arrival can be both exciting and nerve-wracking. Leveraging the calming benefits of lemon balm can help expectant mothers find peace and rest in the final months.
Safety Considerations and How to Consume
When it comes to pregnancy, safety is paramount. Here's what you should know:
- Quantity Matters: While lemon balm can be beneficial, excessive consumption can be problematic.
- Potential Hormonal Impact: Some research suggests that lemon balm may influence oestrogen levels.
- Ways to Consume: Lemon balm can be consumed as a tea, tincture, or in capsule form. However, for pregnant women, tea is the most recommended method as it offers a milder dose.
Note: Always consult a healthcare professional before introducing any new herb or supplement during pregnancy.
While herbs like lemon balm can offer many benefits during pregnancy, it's essential to understand their effects and potential interactions. If you're keen to explore the world of herbal remedies tailored to your unique needs, book our free 1:1 consultation.