Napiers Elixir of Echinacea Complex
PATIENT INFORMATION LEAFLET
Please read this leaflet carefully before you start taking this product. It contains important information for you about this product that may affect you. Keep this leaflet as you may wish to read it again or show it to your doctor, pharmacist or healthcare practitioner. If you have further questions, ask your doctor, pharmacist or healthcare practitioner.
What is in this leaflet?
- What this product is and what it is used for.
- Before you take this product
- How to take this product
- Possible side effects
- How to store this product
- Further information
1. What this product is and what it is used for
Napiers Elixir of Echinacea Complex contains extracts of Echinacea, Fumitory and Wild Indigo. (For full details see Section 6.) Napiers Elixir of Echinacea Complex is a traditional herbal medicinal product used to relieve:
- the symptoms of the common cold and flu type infections
- minor skin conditions, based on traditional use only.
2. Before you take this product
DO NOT TAKE IF YOU:
- are under the age of 12
- are pregnant or breastfeeding
- are allergic to any of the ingredients or other plants of the Asteraceae/ Compositae family e.g daisy, artichokes or marigolds
- have frequent allergic reactions such as hives, eczema, asthma; tuberculosis; sarcoidosis; auto immune diseases e.g. collagenosis, multiple sclerosis; conditions which decrease your resistance to infection e.g. HIV infection or AIDS; white blood cell disorders e.g. agranulocytosis, leukemia
- are on therapy to reduce natural response to infection (e.g. chemotherapy, radiotherapy, history of organ or bone marrow transplant)
- are taking medicines known to interact with alcohol e.g. metronidazole or immunosuppressant medications such as ciclosporin and methotrexate.
Consult your doctor
- if there is a family history of allergic reactions.
Important information about some of the ingredients in this medicine
This medicinal product contains sucrose (syrup), glucose and sorbitol. If you have been told by your doctor that you have an intolerance to some sugars, contact your doctor before taking this medicine.
This medicinal product contains 19% v/v ethanol (alcohol), ie up to 760 mg per dose, equivalent to 19 ml beer or 7.9 ml wine per dose. It may be harmful for those suffering from alcoholism and high-risk groups such as pregnant or breastfeeding women, children and patients with liver disease or epilepsy.
Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Do not take this medicine if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, due to the lack of safety data.
Driving and using machines
This product contains ethanol (alcohol) and therefore it is advised that you do not take this medicine if you are going to drive or use machinery.
Taking other medicines
Please ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
3. HOW TO TAKE THIS PRODUCT
It is important that you follow these instructions carefully.
Shake the bottle well before use.
For oral use only.
For adults, the elderly and children over 12 years: One 5 ml teaspoonful three times a day. Start at first signs of common cold.
Do not exceed the stated dose.
Do not use this product for more than 10 days. If your symptoms persist for longer than 10 days, worsen or high fever occurs during the use of this medicine, consult your doctor or pharmacist.
If you take too much (overdose)
If you take too many doses, discontinue use and consult your doctor or pharmacist. If you forget to take this product If you miss a dose, take your next does at the usual time. Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed dose. Always consult your doctor or pharmacist if you need further advice.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicine, this product can cause side effects. but not everyone gets them. If any of these side effects occur please tell your doctor or pharmacist:
- allergic reactions e.g. rash, hives, swelling of the skin due to fluid, swelling of the facial area (Quincke’s oedema)
- shrinking of the airways in the lungs (bronchospasm)
- asthma and life-threatening reactions (anaphylactic shock)
Association with autoimmune diseases have been reported such as:
- inflammation of the brain and spinal cord
- painful lumps on the shins
- low blood platelet count
- destruction of blood cells by antibodies (Evans Syndrome)
- dryness of the mouth and eyes with tubular dysfunction (Sjorgen syndrome)
A decrease in the number of white blood cells (Leucopenia) may occur in longterm use (more than 8 weeks)
If a side effect occurs, or if a side effect not mentioned above occurs including allergic reactions, stop taking this product and contact your doctor.
5. HOW TO STORE THIS PRODUCT
Do not use this product after the expiry date printed on the label. Store in the original packaging and do not store above 25 degrees C.
Keep this product out of the reach and sight of children.
Return any unused medicine to your pharmacist for safe disposal.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
Each 5 ml of oral liquid contains:
0.64 ml liquid extract
Echinacea angustifolia(Echinacea angustifolia (D.C.)) (1:1) (equivalent
to 0.64 gm Echinacea root). Extraction solvent: Ethanol 45% v/v
0.175 ml liquid extract Wild Indigo(Baptisia tinctoria R.Br.) (1:1) (equivalent to 0.175 gm Wild Indigo root). Extraction solvent: Ethanol 60% v/v
0.16 ml liquid extract Fumitory(Fumaria officinalis L.) (1:1) (equivalent to 0.16 gm Fumitory herb). Extraction solvent: Water.
This product also contains: Ethanol, anise oil, coriander oil, lemon oil, orange oil, elixir saccharin (saccharin sodium, water, 90% ethanol), colour solution (caramel, glycerin, 90% ethanol, water), glycerin, Fluid Extract Glycyrrhizae Special (water, glucose liquid, caramel, 90% ethanol, liquorice liquid extract, sorbitol), syrup (sucrose) and water.
What this product looks like and the contents of the pack:
This product is a dark brown liquid and is available in a 135 ml bottle.
Traditional Herbal Registration holder and manufacturer:
Potters Ltd, 1 Botanic Court, Martland Park, Wigan WN5 0JZ Traditional herbal registration number: THR 00250/0216 This leaflet was revised 21/12/2011 Product code: NAP04LEA
Making medicines safer
You can help to make medicines safer by reporting any side-effects to the Yellow Card Scheme at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard
Alternatively you can get a paper Yellow Card form from your doctor’s surgery or a pharmacy, or call freephone 0808 100 3352 (available 10am-2pm Monday to Friday).
If you would like a version of this leaflet in an alternative format please contact:
Napiers the Herbalists (Wholesale)
24 Tennant Street
Edinburgh EH6 5ND
Telephone: 0845 002 1860